What is acne?
Acne Vulgaris is a common skin disease characterised by patches of scaly red skin (seborrhea), pimples (pustules) and blackheads or whiteheads (comedones). Cystic Acne is a more severe type of acne where infection and inflammation has led to large, red, deep and sore acne lesions.
What causes / triggers acne?
Acne is usually present in oilier skin types with a dense population of sebaceous follicles. This usually affects the face, upper chest and back. Whilst predominantly associated with adolescents, acne commonly appears in adults and sporadically during times of stress and altered hormone levels (such as during pregnancy).
TIPS TO HELP COMBAT ACNE NATURALLY:
Botani’s Founder and Naturopath, Barbara Filokostas, observed the physical and psychological impact that acne had on her patients, affecting their happiness, self-confidence and general well-being. Taking a holistic view to all skin conditions, here are some naturopathic tips for fighting acne:
A positive mindsetThere is no ‘quick fix’ solution. Accept that your skin will heal in time if you take a holistic approach to your overall skin health.
Don’t over-cleanseExcess cleansing is not going to take your oil away thus clear your acne! This actually strips the skin and interferes with the Hydrolipidic Layer (also known as the acid mantle, our skin’s natural barrier). This layer is really important for protecting the skin against infection, irritation, allergic reaction and dehydration. Over-cleansing can leave skin prone to further infection and breakouts, not to mention dehydration.
Minimise ‘the wrong foods’Foods high in sugar and simple carbohydrates are linked to acne breakouts; these include:
- Processed food e.g. chips and biscuits
- Food high in starch e.g. white bread, pasta, potatoes
- Sugary drinks e.g. soft drinks, energy drinks
RECOMMENDED 3-STEP SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR ACNE:
Rescue Acne Trio Pack is a natural treatment that is an acne-fighting line-up backed by science with clinically proven ingredients. The kit contains a simple 3-step routine:
- Cleanse face with Rescue Acne Foaming Cleanser
- Exfoliate and mattify your skin with Rescue Pore Refiner Essence
- Use Rescue Acne Cream (TGA listed) as a spot-treatment on pimples, blemishes and blackheads. Benzoyl Peroxide free, Rescue Acne Cream kills acne causing bacteria without damaging surrounding skin tissue.
**This 3 step solution is simple to use and if you require a day and night moisturiser we recommend Boost Balancing Moisturiser to use after treatment.
ACNE SCARSTo fade acne scars and blemishes, we recommend using the Olive Skin Serum twice a day, on damp skin prior to application of your moisturiser.
BODY ACNETreating body acne, like treating facial acne, requires patience and understanding that we need to look much deeper than the surface skin. Diet and lifestyle factors need to be taken into consideration. Inappropriate diet and stress can contribute to the cause. While the recommendations for facial acne are the same for body acne, the treatment varies.
- Cleanse daily with Eco Clear Body Bar. This body bar contains lemon-scented tea tree oil which is antibacterial and will assist in the healing process.
- Follow cleansing with regular body exfoliation using Spirulina Salt Scrub. Purifies and detoxifies with the healing and antibacterial properties of Australian Sea Salt and Lemon Myrtle.
100% Vegan Certified