Glowing skin really does start from within and today, we want to talk you through one of the most effective ways to detox your skin from the inside out.
Everything from what we eat to environmental stressors and gut health really does impact the overall vitality of your skin. It IS your largest organ after all. Sure, there are a whole heap of skincare products that will change the appearance of your skin but if you really want vitality longterm, you need to cleanse from within.
Foods That Negatively Impact Your Skin Health
Being a vegan brand, we recommend following a plant-based diet. Not only is this way of eating kind to our environment, but it also does wonders for your skin. If you don't want to commit to a vegan diet, that's absolutely fine. It can be quite restrictive after all. Your best bet? Do your research and select foods that won't disrupt your naturally occurring hormones or cause inflammation.
These are some of the worst offenders:
- Alcohol reduces the amount of zinc and magnesium in your body and is toxic for your liver.
- Meat is known to slow down your digestive system and increases bad bacteria in your gut.
- Dairy slows down your natural detoxification process.
- Gluten and wheat can irritate your bowels leading to indigestion, bloating and constipation.
- Caffeine drys out your skin and increases the toxins in your body.
- Salt dehydrates your body and slows down the detoxification process.
- Sugar decreases good bacteria and leads to inflammation.
Foods That Promote Detoxification
Detoxing may seem daunting at first but fear not, nature has created the best bounty for healthy skin. These foods will strip your body of harmful toxins, restore your natural balance and give you the energy and vitality you need.
- Avocado is rich in potassium, promotes the absorption of good fats and cleanses the liver and bowels.
- Leafy, Green Vegetables are rich in iron, high in antioxidants and they'll reduce inflammation.
- Garlic not only flavours food, it has immune-boosting properties that help detox the liver and fight illness.
- Lemon is packed with vitamin C which increases the production of collagen and it helps cleanse the body of environmental stressors.
- Apples can cleanse your body of toxins and decrease your cholesterol.
- Tumeric protects your body, promotes digestion and is known to be antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and a strong antioxidant.
- Water consumption is imperative to flush out toxins, hydrate and cleanse your internal organs. Aim for at least 2 litres per day.
These foods will work to benefit your body and, your skins overall health and appearance.
Gut Health And Your Skin
More and more health professionals are linking gut health to a range of health concerns. From ADHD in children to increase of disease and of course, skin health. A healthy gut will absorb nutrients and minerals and purge toxins appropriately. An ineffective gut, however, will fail to retain nutrients and remove toxins from your bloodstream and organs.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body so of course, your appearance will suffer. Many skin concerns like acne, inflammation, eczema and rosacea can be traced back to gut issues.
To rebalance your gut ensure you are steering clear of alcohol, sugar, processed foods and toxins. Stress and leading a sedentary lifestyle will also decrease the effectiveness of your gut. Instead, choose foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals, exercise for 30 minutes a day and commit to getting your eight hours every night.
Detoxing doesn't have to be overwhelming. The best way to get the good stuff in without the pressure is to commit to one green juice daily. This recipe will detox, fight inflammation and increase the good bacteria in your gut.
All you need is:
- 2 stalks of celery
- ½ a cucumber
- 1 ½ cm of ginger
- ½ cup of parsley
- ½ a lemon
- 1 green apple
- 2 cups of spinach
Juice using a cold-pressed juicer to keep all those luscious nutrients in.
Follow this up with a glass of hot water and a squeeze of lemon to turbocharge your detoxification.
Detox Your Skin
Doing the work on the inside will promote the natural skin rejuvenation process. That being said, following a natural skincare routine will remove toxins, increase blood flow and support your detox. Choosing the right skincare for your skin type can be daunting so we recommend following the expert advice from our founder and Naturopath, Barbara.
We like to keep your daily skincare routine stress-free and simple.
Start with a cleanser to remove all makeup and grime effectively. Our Purify Facial Cleanser is made with tea tree oil, french lavender and echinacea which work together to minimise inflammation and cleanse the skin of impurities.
Exfoliation is imperative in any good skincare routine but even more so while detoxing as toxins will naturally come to the surface and exile through your pores. Exfoliating helps remove them along with dead skin cells to make way for new, detoxed skin.
Finally, keep the hydration up with our Olive Skin Serum. Made from olive squalene, this clever serum replicates the natural squalene in our skin to deliver vital hydration.
Beauty begins within. Treat your body right and your health will shine through.