You may have noticed us regularly referring to this little-known (but mighty powerful) botanical called Crambe Abyssinica. It's not often we get excited about plant oils seeing there are so many fantastic ones around - but this is one that truly stands out with unique properties suited to both skin & hair. In this article, we explore the Crambe Abyssinica Skin Benefits.
What Is Crambe Abyssinica?Touted as the natural skincare industry's 'best-kept secret' Crambe Abyssinica is also known as Abyssinian Oil. It is both hydrating and protective, with a velvety, non-greasy texture. An active lubricant and emollient, it is a natural alternative to mineral oils and silicones, promoting soft skin and a protective barrier to prevent skin dryness. For hair - it restores shine and gloss, conditions hair and reduces breakages.
Origin Of Crambe Abyssinia Seed OilCrambe Abyssinica Seed Oil is the oil expressed from the seeds of Crambe abyssinica, Brassicaceae. It is native to Africa and the Mediterranean region with oval leaves and small white flowers.
Crambe Abyssinica Properties
- It has a molecular structure that is not found in any other plant oil.
- It is very resistant to oxidation, unlike many plant oils, as it contains a high percentage of Erucic acid (omega 9).
- This oil absorbs quickly and easily, with no sticky or greasy residue/feel.
Crambe Abyssinica Skin Benefits
- High in omega fatty acids, Crambe Abyssinica is high in emollients that condition (moisturise) the skin.
- Promotes skin softness, plumpness, and is naturally anti-ageing.
- Naturally anti-inflammatory, Crambe Abyssinica is excellent for soothing and calming red, irritated and sensitive skin.
- Reinforces the skin's protective barrier - an integral function in preventing dehydration.
- Adds radiance to a dull complexion - instantly giving the skin a more revitalised, youthful complexion.
- Its multipurpose properties (and a testament to just how non-greasy it is) allow it to act as an excellent conditioning oil for haircare as well. Adds an instant shine, hydration and protection to hair.