At Botáni we're all about loving yourself no matter what, and anti-age tips and products regularly feature in our skincare business. Porcelain beauty or giraffe-like age spots scattered all over. But if you're lucky enough to be reading this while you're still in your late teens or twenties, and you've become sort of, well complacent about skincare, read on. You might think it doesn't matter what you do or don't do regarding your natural skincare routine. I don't have wrinkles, so why should I feel about them now? What you do now will pave the way for great skin later on, or giraffe-like age spots scattered all over.
Top Five Tips For Great SkinI don't have wrinkles, so why should I think about them now? What you do now will pave the way for great skin later on, or giraffe-like age spots scattered all over. Here are my top tips to achieving great skin now AND in ten, twenty, thirty, forty years' time:
1. MoisturiseYES, the adage is true: those with oily skin age better. If you are one of the 'lucky ones' with oily skin¦.even though you may not be too happy about enlarged pores or blemishes right now, oily skin does have an upside: it develops fewer wrinkles and fine lines than dry skin because the oils keep skin moister and smoother. Using a profoundly nourishing moisturiser is one way to inhibit wrinkles and fine lines before they appear. TIP: try infusing a serum into your daily moisturiser for that extra hydrating or antioxidant boost! If you have oily skin, your best chance is to keep hydrated with a light, non-greasy moisturiser.
2. Remove Your MakeupNeed I say more?!! Don't let the day's build-up of oil, dirt, dead skin cells, makeup, and pollution transfer to your pillowcase and allow the bacteria to breed in your skin! Use a gentle, natural skincare cleanser to remove your makeup with ease.
3. Anti-Age With Sun ProtectionMy friends always made fun of me for wearing sunscreen every day, because I was, in fact, concerned about fine lines, wrinkles and age spots from the age of fifteen. You know; the ordinary stuff fifteen-year-olds think about. Now that I'm thirty with a few fine lines around the eyes and age spots from days in the sun); they reluctantly admit they wish they'd been as diligent as me. I can't lie, it kind of feels good after all those times I was made fun of I now get to say SEE I TOLD YOU. My tip: find a natural, non-greasy mineral-based SPF product that you are happy with, and wear it all year round under your foundation. The sun emits UVA and UVB rays. Someone taught me years ago (and it stuck with me) that the 'A' is for ageing and 'B' is for burning. So the UVB rays are responsible for sunburn on those hot summer days, whereas UVA rays are a little sneakier: they're present all year round so look for a 'broad spectrum' sunscreen that offers both UVA and UVB protection.
4. Introduce Antioxidants Into Your Skincare & DietAs you age, our body's ability to fight free radicals (those horrid things that attack and damage healthy cells and collagen) slows. Antioxidants are the ninjas that fight off free radicals - repairing damage, moisturising the skin and improving the skin's overall appearance (and they're cheaper than a plastic surgeon!). Antioxidants are found in vitamins A, C, & E, all of which can be found in Botáni's Acai Berry Antioxidant Serum. The Antioxidant Serum has over 50 active vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, including Acai Berry Fruit Oil, Cranberry and Blackberry Seed Oils. They should also be consumed regularly, antioxidant not the serum as part of a healthy diet. Try red and green capsicums, kale and strawberries for vitamin C, spinach, almonds and avocados for Vitamin E, and sweet potatoes, carrots and dark leafy greens for Vitamin A.
5. Live A Healthy & Positive LifestyleWhen someone is thrilled and balanced, it shows on the outside. Their soul glows. Wake up in the morning with a positive attitude. Be grateful every day for what you have and who you are. Be proud of yourself. Love yourself. Nurture yourself. Take time out. Put your feet on the grass. Get in touch with nature. Go for a walk. Do yoga. Spend time with animals, and your friends. Treat yourself (with facials, not sugar). Don't judge yourself if you do have a sugar-filled brownie now and then. Accept yourself. Believe in yourself. Write your thoughts and feelings down. You are a natural beauty. Even if you're not in your twenties, we'll forgive you this time, don't let it happen again), tell us what are you going to change to assist the skin ageing process? Will you start moisturising religiously? Or go on the hunt for that perfect sunscreen? Or sign up for a yoga class. I hear Reconnect Yoga is excellent, I have heard some call it life-changing. Author: Sandra. Botani Skincare Trainer / mum-of-one / poodle lover / currently craving John Gorilla's gluten-free brownies
Win Acai Berry Active Antioxidant Serum?
For your chance to win an Acai Berry Active Antioxidant Serum, worth $44.95 'Like' our Facebook page and 'Share' the post about this week's blog with your friends. Let us know that you've done this by posting a comment below answering Sandra's questions about your plans to future-proof your skin from the blog. Make sure you include your Facebook name so we can contact you if you win!*
Getting healthier skin is that simple!
*Competition is only open to Australian residents. All winners will be requested to complete a review of the awarded product. Entries are open from August 24th August 28th, 2015. We will announce the winner by Facebook on Friday, August 28th 2015.